Looking back April 13, 2024

  

I stride over this landscape of memory

Because I can only look back at what was

Knowing how short the road ahead will be,

The past containing all those nuggets of gold

I always assumed the future possessed,

We do not realize what we had –

As wise men have told us –

Until they are gone

And cannot expect to dig up treasure

From a mine already expired,

I stride this landscape of memory

Seeking for those pieces I might have missed,

For what might still be recovered,

For what is important among all those things

I mistakenly believe unimportant at the time,

A futile search, I admit

But something that needs to be done.


2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024