I should live so long -- May 3, 2024

 

When I said,

“I should live so long,”

I never imagined

I would or could,

The curse of long life

Is not how frail we become,

But how lonely,

The soul survivor

Of a holocaust

Called life

In which

One by one,

Those we love

Leave us,

A long stumble

Along a path

We all must take,

Clueless when young

As to where it might lead,

We, full of expectations,

Of what will

Transpire,

When the only reality is

A sad one,

Even when we are

Fortunate enough

To survive,

Once thinking

Anyone over 30

As old,

Since then

Telling ourselves

30 is the new 20,

40 the new 30,

And so on

Until after a while

It ceases to matter.


2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024