A pillow case of his own January 2, 2024

  



 

I had to retire a pillow case that I have owned for 50 years, one filled with images of planets, part of a set I purchased in 1974 when my best friend, Paulie, asked if he could sleep over when I was still living in a rooming house in Montclair, in a room that had once belonged to Meatball, but which I had taken over because it had windows on two sides and let air pass through on particularly hot days.

Mike Riotto, who had attended St. Brendan’s with me, only a year behind my class, lived in a converted closet next door, monk-like.

To this day, I do not know why Paulie needed to stay over, since he had already moved from Pine Street in Montclair to Passaic Street in Passaic, but I was not completely prepared to have guests in a single room.

To prepare for his stay, I went down to a store on Bloomfield Avenue and purchased the set of bed sheets and pillow cases to accommodate him with fresh linen, trying to find a theme that would fit my friend’s tendency to believe in flying saucers.

I don’t even recall if he commented on the bed sheets, and he was gone fairly early the next day, leaving me one extra set of linens to wash and carry on later.

Over the years, the rest of the set vanished either from wear or from being left behind in one move or another until all that remained was one pillow case, which for some reason, I kept – but not out of nostalgia, at least, not then.

I really didn’t think much about it since having only one pillow case and four pillows did not provide a practical use for it, although after Paulie’s death four years ago this month, I recovered it from our linen chest and used it, only to have the wear and tear on it finally make it impossible to use, torn on the wrong end so that the pillow stuck out when I tried to sleep on it.

I guess maybe I kept it because it reminded me of that time when we all still have great hopes for the future, a future that never quite worked out the way we wanted, and yet, the pillow case – each time I uncovered it from the corner of the chest – made me think of him, and his potential, and how much I admired his ability as a musician and artist, even though I had to tolerate his outlandish beliefs about UFOs and global climate change.

As sad as all this sounds, I find great pleasure in physical objects that preserve moments like those, and the fact that the pillow case wore itself out at this time of year (torn on New Years Eve), it represents for me the whole nature of change, and how we cling to the past even as we plunge into the future.

I never stop missing Paulie because he and my other best friend, Hank, inspired me to become someone I would not have become without them, if not quite a great artist or writer or musician, then someone who still aspires to become something more than I was, working every day to hone a craft I know I will never be great at, but which gives me great joy doing.

I strongly suspect Paulie felt the same way, working even to the end of his life at an art that would never put him in any history books (except those I continue to write about him), but in love with the process of creation, knowing that life is about doing, not being, and greatness matters less than being inspired.

This month marks the fourth anniversary of his passing, and so I will keep the pillow case – in whatever condition it might be in – as a physical memory of a man who changed my life for the better, his spirit filling me with dreams I would not have dreamed without him, even when I can no longer lay my head on that otherworldly pillow case, which will now remain like a museum piece in the bottom of that chest as I use newer and more practical linen. I will think of that night when he stayed over, when I sat in the corner with rock records, both of us singing along, both of us living the life we chose to live rather than the life others expected of us, both of us caught up in a time warp of changes that we refused to accept as inevitable, our lives being the process of living and not what came out at the other end.

Maybe nobody will ever remember Paulie as great the way I do, but I could care less, since my thinking of him that way is more than enough.

 

 2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024