The ghost of Christmas past January 6, 2024

 

It was difficult for me not to laugh when I saw the governor trying to act humble, as politician after politician heaped praise on him he really didn’t deserve, wearing his silly red-framed glasses as he touched his chest with his fingers with each new accolade.

I kept thinking, the poor man is going to miss this, the pomp that governors get when they wield the power of the purse, forcing poor fools dependent on state aid to kneel before him as if he is royalty.

Although he had come to swear in the man who is destined to run the county for the next four years, the governor was the real star, and even paused to take pictures with the ordinary people, over whom his decisions sometimes mean life and death.

The night was curious for me since I got to rub shoulders with a number of officials, too, people who I hadn’t seen in a while, some of whom opening hugged my like the congressman from Paterson, who I had covered in several capacities for almost 40 years, having started my mainstream journalism career when he was a mere assemblyman, and I was the new reporter looking to come up with stories each week.

Later, he became mayor of Paterson, and went on to his current position as congressman, a role he’s played for decades, and which I have covered in other towns such as Bloomfield, during that one year when I took a break from the paper in Hudson County to work for another chain.

Nobody knew me in Bloomfield, except at the new reporter taking over the beat. So, it was a shock to the mayor and council when they waited for the congressman to come to help cut the ribbon on a new Home Depot only to have the congressman pass them by to greet me first with a hug.

Who is this guy, the local officials wondered. I never bothered to say.

The congressman hugged me at this event as well when I told him I missed him and he said he missed me, too, the governor frowning a bit at this from his position on the stage, and maybe also over the hugs and handshakes from the host of other dignitaries that seemed to put me up on a similar pedestal even though I could provide them with no state aid and had nothing to offer but a smile.

The idea that power if fleeting struck me way back during those early days and that first newspaper gig, when while I worked as the local reporter, politicians treated me with some deference, but that day I resigned and told them, they found no more use for me.

You’re only as powerful as when you still wield the pen, after which you’re nobody again.

This is the same for many politicians, who in their fading days suddenly discover others don’t quite feel as beholden to them as they once did. There were a few of these at this event, the power brokers who would soon be put out to pasture, while in the crowd, the new royalty took their place at the podium, reciting their praises of the governor who they still need – at least until the govern leaves office – and by deference, they show they are still powerful.

What the governor thought of me and those who showed deference to me, I may never know, since I gave up my political column years ago and work these days doing ordinary, painless coverage that tries not to offend anyone enough to have them seek to get me fired.

I suspect, however, that if you’re in the game long enough and people get used to your face, you still retain clout, real or not.

The event, of course, was an important political social affair. Everybody who is anybody or was anybody, needed to be there, if only to get a taste of what they previously got, and to make the governor and others aware that they still exist.

In the end, the new elite will rise out of this, as new faces replace old faces in the political trenches, none of which will be beholden to me in the least, since my glory days as a journalist are behind me, and what I do I do to keep a roof over my head and food in my refrigerator.

The one man I ached to see, and to whom many paid tribute, was not at the event, supposedly ill, and his absence said much about how power moves on from you if you stand in one place for too long.

Some people, of course, do not need position to possess power, those like Ginsberg and others whose accomplishments have made them great, an accolade they do not give up after four or eight years, but retain for their life, the way Mark Twain retained it, the way some other great journalists have.

Maybe there was a little of that, this idea that I have walked through fire and come out the other end unscathed and so retain as aspect of power that does not end with the closing of a newspaper or even – as in columnist Pete Weiss – after death.

None the less, the whole night was curious, a reflection of who is in power, who isn’t, and my wandering around in the midst like the ghost of Christmas past.

 

 2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024