A cold rain is going to fall Feb. 3, 2024

 


Back again.

I have huge gaps in this journal because I still reserve more sensitive material to handwritten notebooks. While I might scan and post them eventually, I’m still uncomfortable transcribing them.

It may take a decade for me to feel free enough to do so, by which time I might have passed off this mortal coil and not have to worry about it.

This depressing though it inspired by the host of doctors’ appointments I have scheduled over the next month and the fact that once again I have come down with a cold and had to sleep for 36 hours straight just to restore my energy levels.

Thursday, I paid a visit to our new digs in Hoboken, where I got to interact with the other reporters, all of whom are required to be there at last three days a week.

I’m the old man in the crowd by decades and hate the idea.

I’ve never felt comfortable standing out too much from the crowd, even though I want my writing and other artistic aspects to do so.

Because I could not get access to my checking account last Sunday at the Secaucus branch, I strolled up to Washington Street to check the ATM there, before making my way back to the light rail station for the trip home.

I mostly work at home, which is a bit distracting since I tend to drift off to my own creations rather than concentrating on the work I get paid to do.

This has always been a balancing act between what I do for myself and what I do to make a living. It was much easier when I worked at a baker or a truck driver or sat in a Fotomat booth when the distinction was clearer between the two. But as a writer, making my living often drains my personal creativity, especially on weeks like this when I am ill, and I have to sleep for a while to build up energy enough to sit at a computer and work.

My walk in the rain the other day may have contributed to my current condition, rather than the leukemia that I supposedly have.

I hate driving these days, and so require some walking, and expending energy to get to where I need to go.

Some of the other reporters tend to cover events remotely, and I do that to some degree as well – for instance the Bayonne Board of Education meeting last week, which lasted all of 18 minutes and a two minute workshop, and basically did not provide much in the way of story material. Even driving, I would have spent 45 minutes getting there and 45 minutes getting back for no reason.

But it is important to get to other meetings just so that people get used to seeing my face.

Bayonne is not the same Bayonne I covered 20 years ago, but rather a jersey City light, where the old and poor are being disposed to make way for what one leader once called “the walking wallets.”

Too many luxury buildings and too few units of affordable housing, leaving very little space for those who aren’t walking wallets.

Working part time these days (which is sort of dishonest since I put in as many hours as I previously did), I could not afford the rents being charged, even in those units considered more affordable. This makes me ashamed at how much I complained when my rent in Passaic jumped from $80 a month to $125, and I still look back at fondness at the $100 per month I paid at the rooming house in Montclair. I suspect previous generations suffered similar sticker shock.

It's no wonder there are so many homeless, and how people might reject minimum wage jobs when no matter how many hours they put in, they can’t make ends meet.

Life gets more complicated with each passing generation. While I complain about how complicated our lives our with people constantly being brainwashed by their smart phones, I suppose radio and TV had the same impact on those who came before me with George Orwell accurately portraying them as mind control.

I truly admire those people I see reading real books on the train, as if they are the new resistance movement against indoctrination, even though I’m sure a previous few are reading real books on their smart phones as well.

Some, of course, are likely students at universities, who are being subjected to much more aggressive manipulation, and will eventually become our future leaders – a scary thought and depressing, making me almost grateful for my current cold that keeps me away from all these instruments of electronic eavesdropping.

Oh well, upward and onward as they say.

 

  2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024