Wake up already!!!! February 13, 2024

 

 

I was in the middle of my morning constitutional on the toilet when the phone rang – well before the 7 a.m. alarm, and so, I had to answer for fear it might be bad news from my ex-wife and daughter.

It was the Home Depot delivery man, who was due to deliver some wood for a repair we were making in our sun room.

I thought he was confirming the delivery for later in the day.

“No, I’m here, I’m outside,” he said.

Outside? Now? I glanced out the window at the back yard. The long predicted snow had arrived and was still arriving, just covering the ground at this point, but sticking and getting heavier. Home Depot had predicted delivery for between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., not at 6:15 a.m.

Yet, I understood why when I flicked on the radio and heard the forecast had changed, and the two to four inches they told us last night we would get today had suddenly become 6 to 9 inches, and the delivery guy apparently needed to unload the 11 boxes (very, very heavy boxes) before the roads became impassable – Nanny McMurphy, are idiot governor, telling us all to stay off the roads.

He thrives on disasters because he gets to tell other people what to do and not to.

The delivery man dragged each box up to our front door which I wrestled into the living room where the pile mounted.

I had not even had coffee yet, nor fed our cats (which has scattered at the intrusion of a stranger). By the time the deed was done, I was exhausted and ready to go back to bed, but already too awake to do so.

I fed the cats, a few of which refused to come out of hiding, then collapsed in an armed chair and watched the increased volume of snow outside, our first serious snow storm this year, finally fulfilling the panic mode forecasters have been so desperate to adopt but could not with the lack of precipitation over the last two years (we got rain, but very little snow).

Not quite a white Christmas. But with the governor’s order to keep free of travel, it felt like a holiday.

But it is a sad holiday, since it marks the 25th anniversary of Peggy’s suicide on the eve of St. Valentine’s Day.

I had planned to leave roses on her grave. But because of a number of factors that had delayed me from going to see my daughter over Christmas and fear that snow would still be a problem in her neck of the woods if I waited, I went there on Sunday instead. Now, the snow kept me off the roads, and I’ll have to wait until next Sunday to pay tribute to a woman I once deeply loved.

Most of what I need to do for work, I can do by email, provided the internet doesn’t fall apart like it often does during inclement weather – which would have been writing and saving for a time when I can regain access.

I actually like snow and appreciate this storm because it covers many of the mistakes of the world, shrouding the landscape with a pureness we rarely see in this part of the world (with or without the Climate Change nut cases spouting their crap). So, at some point, before it all gets slushy or dirty, I’ll go out into it, lift my head, and utter something that might sound like a prayer, giving thanks for the world and its ability to change, as well as for my ability to adapt. For the most part, life is good.


   2024 journal menu 


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024