A Wick full of memories April 13, 2024

 

As it turned out we did not make the trip to Asbury Park as planned, too weary from too long a week at work. We stayed local and then made our way to the Wick in Earth Rutherford for dinner, a place a few blocks away from where we lived when we first got together.

The history goes back to the early 1980s when I dated a girl named Susan from college, who had grown up in Rutherford – the Wick being the center of social life for teenagers at the time (and perhaps still is the way West Dinner and Kalico Kitchen for us back in the late 1960s in West Paterson).

It wasn’t a long relationship. I was the rebound kid she needed temporarily to get over her breakup with her childhood sweetheart, a high school romance that had continued into the college, but fell apart when both graduated and steered their lives towards other places.

She had mistakenly assumed that his friends were her friends, when it turned out, she was not really a member of the gang.

She made a similar mistake when she decided to move on from me and assumed that my clutch of male friends were hers. She was particularly fond of Paulie (and I actually thought would make a good match because they both were so brilliant, and I had adopted George Harrison’s philosophy in regards to Eric Clapton taking up with his wife Patty Boyle – better known from the song Layla). But Paulie had only one love in his life, something he continued to pine after until his death in January 2020 (with one short sidetrack during his late 30s when he got infatuated with a 17 year old girl).

I returned to the Wick a number of times since, including a meeting with John Telson, who I had worked with at the cosmetic place in the mid 1970s and later at a wine import place. This took place just after 9/11 and John was already very ill (ultimately succumbing to his illness), a kind of ghost dance for both of us, and a meeting of friends who knew life paths would not allow us to reunite again after that).

While we still go there from time to time, I guess my meeting with Garrick there last year scares me a bit, since Garrick, along with Paulie and Hank are my closest and dearest childhood friends (Hank passed away in 1995), and he remains the last of our Fab Four, much in the way Paul McCartney and Ringo are, and I need to make sure that what happened with John doesn’t happen with Garrick, and our trip to the Wick only reminded me I need to reconnect again soon as to not have yet another sad memory to recount when we travel there for food.

We did not see the old man there this time, the owner who traditionally wanders through the restaurant greeting people, an icon I recall from my earliest trips there, and with the cloud of doubt about Garrick hovering over me, I feared we might not see him again (although I’m pretty sure we will.)

Of course, this depressing trip down memory lane also reminded me of Susan, and that odd moment when she stayed with me in my cold water flat in Passaic, when a one-night-stand I had picked up previously at Kimberly’s (while working at with the band and who coincidently also lived in Rutherford) pounded on the door while I was making love to Susan, telling me through the locked door that she was pregnant and I was the father (both things turned out to be untrue, although it was a difficult thing to explain to Susan at that moment, comic and tragic at the same time),

 


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024