Eclipse 2024 April 9, 2024

 

The sky didn’t fall; but the world felt just a bit weirder on account of this once-in-a-lifetime event that nearly blinded me to witness.

“Momma told you not to look into the heart of the sun, but momma, that’s where the fun is,” Springsteen once sang.

Some idiot from The View tried to sell the idea that the eclipse was the result of climate change (she also said our recent earthquake was as well), proving once again just how deluded these climate change fools are.

Still, I fell into the hype partly because the next opportunity won’t be for 22 years, by which time I’ll likely be dead, or just as likely, blind.

I keep thinking of Mark Twain and his prediction about Halley’s Comet, how he was born with its arrival, and would pass off this mortal coil when it returned, and he did in 1910, just in time for local officials in Lodi to name their new school after him, to which my grandfather and all his siblings attended.

These are all markers in our lives, and as significant as those the ancients attributed to “the gods,” these marvel of nature we get brief glimpses of, predictable to some extent, yet as important in the passage of our lives as history itself, but immutable, immune to the whims of new generations that seek to change the meaning of what once was.

I keep thinking of how significant the attack on Pearl Harbor was to the generation that preceded ours, my underage father desperate to get into the war, my still even more underage uncles who could not.

By the time I was born ten years later, it was already ancient history, just as 9/11 is to the current and somewhat deluded generation we call Gen Z.

I remember interviewing the then 101 year old lady in a Bloomfield nursing home back in 1997, shocked at the fact that her then-deceased husband had been Thomas Edison’s chief aide, and that she had known Thomas Edison personally.

I’m sure if I live long enough, younger people will marvel at the fact that I remember seeing John F. Kennedy being driven down Main Street from Paterson into Clifton in 1960, and living through the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Kennedy Assassinations, MLK’s, the moon landing, Woodstock and all the various anti-war protests, having known Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, one of the people on Ken Kessey’s bus, and some members of the Charles Manson family.

All of these things seem important, even significant, when what I miss are the people who lived during my time and are now gone, and I retain the living memory of their passage, only to see their lives eclipsed.

I hope to be alive when the next eclipse comes, but I’m not counting on it, the way Twain did seeing the return of a comet, I’m just – as John Lennon put it – hanging out here and wasting time.

And having seen this eclipse, I’m grateful I’m not yet blind.


2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024