no, May is the cruelest month April 30, 2024

  

Thirty Days passed September, April, June and November.

This is one of the short months, and unlike March, it went by in a breathless rush, and I find myself staring into the month of May and the long history of sad events that took place during the month of my birth.

How far back these negative impressions go, I can’t remember, only those like thorns that made me bleed the most acute.

I do not look forward to my birthday as once I did, knowing that there won’t be a new bicycle waiting for me when it finally arrives – that year when I pleaded for one when all my friends in the neighborhood already had theirs, and found one hidden in the attic a few days prior to the blessed event, covered in a sheet as if such a thing could keep me from poking my nose underneath.

I wore that bicycle out, traveling far and wide, reconstructing it when it fell apart, pretending to be the Green Lantern as we plunged out the door from my best friend’s basement to take on the ills of the world.

Out in LA, when on the run from the police in 1970, I prayed not for a bicycle, but for the reunion of The Beatles – that had announced their breakup a few weeks earlier, an unrealistic wish I realize now, but then, my life was full of hope and omens, we believing we could some how magically influence world events by closing our eyes and clicking our heals, wishing for what we wanted to come true.

I don’t know what I would wish for now, having been disappointed so many times over the long years since that one year I got the bicycle that I’m afraid to wish for anything, fearing disappointment once again.

I could make a list, but it would not be valid because there is very little left in this world that I would want so badly as I did that bicycle, and if there is a reunion I crave, it is not of The Beatles (two of whom have left this mortal coil), but a reunion of my best friends (we once saw ourselves as the fab four), two of whom have passed away and will not return except in memory (or perhaps in haunting), a wish promising nothing but disappointment.

I guess I cling to this last day in April, wishing that it was a long month instead of a short one, and that I could keep that last day forever, like a relived ground hog day, only not today, but a today when there were things still left to wish for and my friends still here to help me share the good cheer.

Perhaps the poet was right when he claimed April as the cruelest month, full of unfulfillable promises, yet, still as I did long go when I ached for the Beatles to reunite, when I prayed to the bicycle I always wanted, I hold out hope – for the impossible.

 

 2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024