Rainy days and Sundays May 6, 2024

  

The heavy rain came later yesterday, even though we had a steady drizzle all day, making laundry a little longer as the dryers struggle to make up for the moist air.

I did not travel far from my car, except for the Sunday ritual coffee at the Dunkin in Secaucus, watching instead the parade of people making their way to and from the bar across the street, the eye-opener crowd that pretend they are looking for the meal that comes with the discounted drinks.

This part of the world is largely unchanged – the name of the bar, the new Arab restaurant where the Chinese take-out had been, the Bollywood kids’ academy in place a jewelry store. Yet if I don’t look too closely, I might think I’m back in 1992 when I first started at a reporter here, or even 1990 when I worked as a baker briefly at the Dunkin, or even 1983, when I worked in the Fotomat in the Acme Supermarket (now a CVS) parking lot.

Indeed, I have a long history with this place, having passed through here many times on the bus from Paterson to New York during the late 1960s – though all the “clubs” are gone, as are the slaughter houses and the green houses.

A half block from the laundr-o-mat is where I bought my first IBM PC (upgrading from Atari which I had since 1982), the box of a building having changed colors several times from the pale green back then through a stage when someone chose to paint it cream, and these days a bright red icon nobody can miss.

I talked to my former colleague from the Bloomfield newspaper office who I once got a job with the weekly newspaper here when their reporter quit. He has been undergoing all of the nasty medical issues I suffered two or so years ago, but remains his same grumpy self, working as a bus driver. I last saw him here going not the bar for the free brunch a few years ago. He still lives only a few blocks from where I live up the hill in North Hudson.

Although most Sundays when I do laundry here, I run into people I know or knew, such as one of the councilmen a few weeks ago, another reporter last week, and often, the mayor in his jeep with The Beatles logo on its back.

I saw no one familiar yesterday, and came home, trying to keep my laundry dry long enough to get I from the car into the house.

When the rain came more heavily, the baseball game I was listening to ceased, and never resumed. Later, Tuck, the cat who we released back onto the street earlier in the week, decided he wanted to come in and sleep in a dry place. It took a while to convince him to relinquish our bed when we decided we needed use of it, and with a few bribes of really good food, he got down long enough for us to get in.

In the morning, he insisted on leaving the house again, and once outside, resumed terrorizing the other neighborhood cats. I had to pull him out of the cat house in our yard so that another male cat could flee.

This is, of course, the nature of the world, where the tough survive as long as they can retain their strength, and Tuck, as wounded as he’s been, insists on maintaining his role outside, even when at times, he’ll climb on my chest when I am sleeping to insist on pets.

I had hoped to convince him into becoming an inside cat, the way I have several of his adversaries (who still live with us in other rooms), but he is too much settled in his ways, and I fear at the end of the day, he will cease existence by pushing himself into one too many frays with cats much tougher than he is.

If he survives, we’ll take him back in, fix him, and hope maybe he’ll have learned his lesson and remain inside. But he’s too much like me in that regard, and clings to what he is and must be until the very end.


2024 journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Twenty First Century Man Jan. 22, 2024

Journal 2024