What is and what can never be July 1, 2024

 


I made the trek back to the old hood in Passaic/Garfield to visit Peggy’s grave.

I missed her birthday in May because of too much to do for work. The stuffed bear from  last Christmas was long gone, as was the NY Giant’s pin, the ceramic angel and the remnants of the flowers I left on the 25th anniversary of her death. So, I started over with a new stuffed bear and a single rose.

Her older Sister, Susan, who died in 2019, is also buried in the grave, leaving no one but me to make regular visits.

I usually time my visits to her with visits to some of my family’s graves – which are located in a nearby cemetery in Lodi – the patriarch of our family, John the Babtist, his son, Egisto (my great grandfather) and his wife, Jennie.

This year marks the 100 th anniversary of Egisto’s death and a turning point in my grandfather’s life, since he had full sports scholarship and would have become an architect, had not the family desperately needed him to serve as bread winner.

Other family members still visit this grave, some of whom have a living memory of growing up in Lodi.

Peggy’s grave is different. And I suppose it seems a bit odd that I should continue to mourn her as an ex-boyfriend, although I have since talked to other men who have loved her as I do.

Some women inspire such love, even when it is unrequited, and life has gone on for people like me, leaving them in the rearview mirror.

These women usually leave a string of men behind them, men who can never cease to love them, even when they have taken up with someone else – such as that fire fighters from Hackensack who might have married Peggy, and still wishes he had, and cried on the telephone when he learned from me the details of her suicide.

Love lasts even if the relationship doesn’t, and I feel compelled to celebrate it, even if it was never meant to be.

 

 2024 journal menu

 

email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumb and dumber on Columbia U April 18, 2024

Journal 2024

Poetry Journal Feb. 12. 2024